Criteria for Ecotourism Accommodation
If you would like to be considered for listing on the Green Getaways Australia web directory, just drop us a line via the contact form and let us know about your environmental initiatives.
The criteria for listing is outlined below. We have however found that sustainable initiatives in accommodation come in all shapes and sizes, so we are always open to consideration of properties who don’t fit the standard guidelines, but who offer other environmental initiatives. Surprise us!
We are looking for high quality boutique accommodation in Australia, with motivated and passionate owners. The more unique the better… Your property will need to be run as a business, not a sideline, with appropriate taxes paid to the Australian Government.
As a non-profit, our rates are low if you meet our guidelines – just a one-off listing fee, which goes towards keeping our website up and running, and no commission from enquiries made via the Green Getaways website.
Most accommodation operators listed on the directory have either achieved, or are working towards, the following green benchmarks:
- Initiatives to improve energy efficiency
- Recycling of waste through separation, appropriate disposal and composting
- Use of sustainable practices in building design
- Use of environmentally friendly products and recyclable packaging
- Carbon reduction initiatives
These usually include at least 5 of the following.
- Photovoltiac system
- Solar hot water
- Energy efficient lighting (compact fluorescent and/or LED)
- 100% use of green power
- Rainwater used when possible
- Water conservation and reduction methods employed
- Grey water recycling
- Composting of all green waste
- Recycling of all recyclable waste
- Bulk buying and minimal packaging of products
- Recycling facilities provided for guests
- Use of 100% post consumer paper products
- Use of environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Low VOC emission products used when possible
- Use of FSC certified timbers, recycled or plantation timbers instead of rainforest hardwoods
- Passive solar design incorporating thermal mass, breezeways, shading, solar orientation
- Insulation, double glazing and weather stripping.
- Accreditation with Ecotourism Australia, Earth Check or other green accreditation scheme.
A number of properties are able to show their commitment to environmentally sustainable objectives in a number of other ways. These may include such initiatives as:
- Rehabilitation projects
- Tree planting schemes
- Minimum impact trails
- Registration of property on Australia’s national reserve
- Commitment to local wildlife and revegetation groups.
- Organic or biodynamic property.
- electric car recharge station
Media articles: Green Getaways Australia in the media
Copyright Green Getaways Australia